Purpose Statement and Description
The purpose of SchoolNurseNet is to provide an online community for school nursing professionals that fosters trust and diversity; where community members can grow in professional confidence and ability through sharing knowledge, information, and feedback with each other.
SchoolNurseNet was founded in May 2013 as a way to improve email discussions and create a space for National Association of School Nurses (NASN) leadership group collaboration. Today, it is a robust and valued forum that connects school nursing professionals; individuals who often practice as the sole health professional in their work place.
SchoolNurseNet is made up of communities that are open to the public and ones that are reserved for Association members. The main community is the All Member Forum; a benefit of Association membership. Other communities are organized by area and/or topic of interest. Association leader groups use communities to move the Association's mission and strategic goals forward.
The health of SchoolNurseNet lies in the capacity of the community to champion trust and knowledge sharing, identify and strengthen exceptional community contributors, advance evidenced-based dialogue, and empower community members to express themselves and share their passions.
Community Rules and Etiquette Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic rules and etiquette guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and etiquette guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation.
Membership and technical questions should directed to our helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that becoming a "member" of the community alone (absent holding some other "official" position within NASN) does not authorize you to represent yourself as being in any kind of partnership or joint venture with NASN, nor does it authorize you to speak on behalf of NASN or be any type of representative for NASN. If you want to make reference to a position that NASN holds, you should refer to the NASN statement on the subject (i.e., by identifying the location of that position statement or press release, etc. on the website).
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important rules and guidelines. If you have questions, contact the helpdesk. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules and guidelines.
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals instead of products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Maintain the confidentiality related to client/student health issues.
- Safeguard privacy and exercise good judgment in sharing personally identifiable or other sensitive information. E-mail and online forums are inherently unsecure communication platforms, and NASN cannot guarantee that your comments will remain private. To comply with privacy guidelines, ensure that all client specific information is de-identified. Here are resources to guide you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting content in this collaborative environment, please indicate if the content is not available for reuse. Participants have the right to reproduce content unless otherwise specified but it is advisable to contact the owner of any material you would like to reuse.
- While content shared on this site can be reproduced unless otherwise specified, you must have the sender’s permission to reproduce private email messages sent directly to you.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Commercial messages are prohibited in discussions. Consider contacting individuals directly with product and service information if you believe it would be helpful.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Personal messages, advertising including employment postings, campaign or political statements, fundraising, and/or religious messages are prohibited in discussions and other community content.
Possible exceptions to this rule.
- There may be exceptions for fundraising messages related to NASN-sanctioned events on NASN discussion lists. Contact NASN for a ruling.
- There may be exceptions for employment postings and/or fundraising messages related to NASN Affiliate-sanctioned events on NASN Affiliate discussion lists. Contact the NASN Affiliate for a ruling.
- All surveys and survey invitations including research surveys require approval.
NOTE: Learn more about the process for reaching NASN's contacts with research surveys. Contact the appropriate NASN Affiliate to connect with members of an NASN Affiliate discussion list.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- NASN reserves the right to close a discussion thread or delete a discussion post if it violates the rules and guidelines.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Reply to the sender when you want to simply say thank you or request a copy of a resource. Reserve replying to group when your reply contains information that benefits everyone.
- If you want to forward a discussion message, be sure to only forward the actual “guts” or content of the message. Edit out all of the headers, footers and other commentary. Remember that you must have the sender’s permission to forward private email messages sent directly to you.
- While participants have the right to reproduce content unless otherwise specified, it is advisable to contact the owner of any material you would like to reuse.
- Send administrative and technical support messages to email@example.com instead of the discussion list.
- Go to your profile to unsubscribe from a discussion list, change your email address, and/or update other preferences and demographics.
- If you have a lengthy message that is informational in nature, consider writing a blog post instead of a discussion message. After you write your blog post, share a link to it in a discussion message.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of National Association of School Nurses. NASN makes no representations or warranties as to the accuracy or reliability of any content posted or discussed on SchoolNurseNet, the discussion board for school nurses to share their thoughts. Any user content posted, including all articles, opinions, and responses to questions, are solely the opinions and responsibility of the person or entity submitting them and do not necessarily reflect evidence-based practice or the opinions of NASN. NASN does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, services, procedures, opinions, or other information posted in SchoolNurseNet. The materials should be reviewed by the user in context of current evidence-based clinical nursing judgment; and knowledge of your state and district laws and policies before you decide to use it or not. You expressly agree to hold the NASN parties harmless for any claims of damage arising from using any such content and will be at your own risk.
Prohibited on this site are any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Also prohibited is any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants National Association of School Nurses and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
National Association of School Nurses does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of National Association of School Nurses we will take all appropriate action.
National Association of School Nurses reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
We respect your privacy
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site
Our Service Providers.
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Email messages from this site contain links and buttons that, when clicked in your email program, will bring you back to this community website. These links have your login credentials embedded into them so that you are not forced to login to the community website when you click on one. Because of this, it is important that you do not share email messages you receive from this site by sending them from your email account to another person's email account using the forward feature in your email program. Doing so will compromise the security of your login credentials and give your website access to others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies.
For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page